Loving One Another

My Sis, Sally, Died Today

Me with Mom and Sally

Today my sis, Sally, died.
She was only a year and a half older than I.
As children, Mom often dressed us alike.
People thought we were twins.

As adults we looked so much alike, too, that our long-time friends sometimes called me Sally.

When you lose your only sibling,
A part of you dies with her.
Sally came every Thanksgiving from CA
To spend the holiday with us in Montana.

Sally with oregano

Sally always came with an extra suitcase.
She filled it with oregano that grew in her back yard.
She spent most of the week here at the kitchen table or counter
Picking the leaves off the oregano stems.

I have a couple of quart jars left of her herbs.
When they are gone, another part of her
Will disappear – You can’t find oregano that fresh –
Not in a store, that’s for sure! Can you smell it?

Sally with our son, Ty’s kids

Sally was a nut about holidays!
She had a closet full of clothes
Sorted by the holiday they represented
And she loved every one of them.

She joined her nieces and nephews
For Halloween and Christmas,
For Easter and birthdays, and
For special lunches and dinners.

Sam, Faith, Hope and Jordan with Aunt Sally at Burger King
Sally loved giving gifts and playing games
Sally & Jordan shared a Dec. 20th birthday
They continued to share even as Jordan entered his teens and young adult years.
Bonnie was Sally’s best friend. They enjoyed many River Cats games together.
Sally & Ty

Naturally Sally was there to celebrate her daughter, Jodie’s wedding.
Here she is at the wedding reception, dancing with her nephew,
our son, Ty, the daddy of those nieces and nephews.
And she was there of course, for her grandson, Liam’s baptism.

Bill & Jodie Welge (Sally’s dughter) and their infant son, Liam

Sally loved spending time with her grandson, Liam.
During the last few years of her life, she moved
from California to PA to be near her daughter, son-in-law,
and her dear grandson, Liam.

Besides her family and holidays, Sally had a love of dogs.
She inherited her poodle, Gigi, from our mom after Mom died.
Gigi was stolen from Sally when Gigi was about 4 years old.
Gigi was gone nine years, but Sally never gave up the idea of
finding her!

Sally & Gigi

Sure enough, nine years after the theft, Sally received a call from a veterinarian.
Gigi had a chip, and when she was found wandering, dirty, toothless, and infected,
the person who found her brought her to a vet. The chip had Sally’s number.
Can you imagine her joy at that reunion after nine long years? Gigi lived to be 15.
Dear friends of ours here adopted her and gave her a loving last 9 months of life
when Sally moved to PA and could not take Gigi with her to the Masonic Home.

Sally & Jodie at Christmas in Pennsylvania
Sally with me at Christmas in California
Can’t deny we’re sisters, can we?
Last Thanksgiving in Sewickley, PA

Although Alzheimer’s robbed my sis of her memory and ultimately of her ability to converse, she was tuned in and enjoyed the concert Liam and I presented in her nursing home last Thanksgiving. I am so glad Bob & I were able to go – and we had that time with her. My life is filled with wonderful memories of times we shared together.

I’m pregnant with Ty – Bob’s next to Sally & Dave with Denise
and that’s our Mom & Dad in front
Bob & me with Sally & Dave – one Easter waaaay back when!

Sally had a life filled with service to others through her church, the Hospital Auxiliary, the Girl Scouts (she led a troop for at least 50 years) and her favorite organizations, Rebekahs and Eastern Star.

Her life also was one of tragedy (her oldest daughter died at age 19 and her husband, Dave, was only 60 when he died suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack). But Sally was a trooper. She continued to volunteer and give of her time and talents to others.

I was blessed to grow up with a sister who had such a big, giving heart,
She will be missed by all of us who loved her. But her spirit will live on.

Sally and Jan
at my daughter, DeAna’s wedding in 1987

I know her spirit will recognize mine when I join her in Heaven someday.
Meantime, rest in peace, dear Sis. I will carry your love with me always.

Thanks for visiting today my friends.
Treasure every sunrise.
Enjoy every sunset.
Tell your siblings how much you love them.

See ya tomorrow, God willing!
JanBeek

Comments on: "My Sis, Sally, Died Today" (66)

1. You both look alike 😍. Your words brought tears in my eyes 🥺😣😣😭😭😭 . This is a great tribute 💕💕💕💕💕💕 . I miss Sally 😭

Liked by 1 person

2. May her soul rest in peace.

3. Ohh my!!!! 💗💗💗 I am sorry for your loss
    You both looked alike !!!! Take care of yourself

Liked by 2 people

• Thank you! I will take care of myself… and my hubby…. the best I can. Yesterday was not a good day! Besides the loss of my sis, we learned yesterday that my husband has early stages of congestive heart failure. Lots of tests yesterday afternoon and some more this morning. Your sweet thoughts are appreciated. ❤

Liked by 1 person

• I really appreciate how strong and brave you are !!! Something I want to learn from you 💗💗💗
        I know these are testing times for you but you and your lovely husband will get through it together !!!! God bless you and your family 💗💗

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you so much! Some days are harder than others to be strong and brave. Today is a hard one, too. Last night we learned that my husband’s lack of “zip” and sometimes shortness of breath is due to “congestive heart failure” and we are waiting now for a call to go in for an electrocardiogram. When it rains, it pours, huh?

Liked by 1 person

• Sun is about to shine💗💗💗

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you, {{{Van}}} – – – as you typed that message, my husband was getting the best sleep, the best uninterrupted rest that he has had in recent memory. Yes, God is good!! ❤ Thank you for your comment and best wishes. ❤

Liked by 1 person

4. She seems like a wonderful person! I am so sorry for your loss.This was a beautiful and moving piece ❤️

Liked by 2 people

5. So sorry for your loss. You have posted a very moving tribute to your sister. May you know GOD’s love and peace at this time and always.

6. Elaina Colby said:

What a beautiful tribute dear Aunt Sally! You were such a good sister to her. My girls and I have wonderful memories of our times spent together, especially at holidays. She was always so festive and perfectly put together with her clothing and jewelry choices. She will be missed. Love to you and the family!

Liked by 2 people

7. Jan, my condolences on your loss. My heart is aching and celebrating such a beautiful sisterhood you shared. This tribute to your sister touches my heart and undoubtedly, will touch others. What a wonderful reunion you will share one day~may God give all of you peace and love during this time. I feel it a special privilege to know you and witness the love you have for family and others. My nephew’s (twin sister’s son) birthday is on Dec. 20th. I will remember Sally too. 💚💕❤️

Liked by 2 people

8. Fran McNeill said:

Tried to post but wasn’t allowed.

“What a beautiful post. She clearly loved and lived life to the max. You are all in my heart and prayers.”

Love you Jan 💓

Sent from my iPad

Liked by 1 person

9. I ams so sorry that you have finally lost Sally – a twin, indeed. This is a fine tribute

Liked by 1 person

10. I’m deeply sorry for your loss, Jan. The photographs showed what a loving relationship you shared and the life you spent together making many happy memories. xx

Liked by 1 person

• Yes, {{{Lesley}}} we were blessed to have many wonderful opportunities to increase our love and understanding of one another. We were quite different personalities, but our love transcended those differences. Thank you for your comment. ❤

11. Anneliese “Hasi” Adams said:

Oh Jan, I feel your pain and loss🙏
    Your sister will never be gone from you, she lives forever in your heart!
    May all your wonderful memories keep you moving forward❤️❤️❤️🙏

12. Anonymous said:

Bless your sister and your family ♥️

Liked by 1 person

13. I am so very sorry Jan……..I cannot imagine your feeling of loss. But I know that you will be reunited someday and all this sadness will pass away………Thank you for sharing a small part of your life with us……….

14. My deepest condolences to you and your family, Jan. ⚘

15. Susan Wright said:

she will be missed

16. Thank you for sharing your pictures😃
    We knew Sally from Rebekah’s and Tr Clubs. So nice to see Sally with family and so happy! Although she always had a smile and worked so hard with her Girl Scouts and TR girls.
    Happy she got to spend her last days with her daughter and family❤️
    RIP Sally, you will be missed by many😢

17. Marcia Pratt said:

A wonderful tribute to a great lady. Thank you for sharing. I’m so very sorry for your loss. I knew Sally through Rebekahs and Odd Fellows.

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you so much, Marcia ❤ How kind of you to read and respond on my blog. I appreciate you! ❤ Sally is smiling down on us, i"m sure ❤

18. I am soooo sorry for your loss ((((Jan)))). ❤ What a beautiful glimpse into your lives. I love those pictures. Back in the day! Thanks for sharing. May the Lord wrap His arms of comfort around you as you mourn the loss of your sister.

Liked by 1 person

19. Jan, I am so sorry for your loss! You guys looked so much alike!
    I am glad you have wonderful memories to cherish and keep close to your heart!
    My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family! Blessings! ♥♥

20. Shari Salazar said:

Jan, what a beautiful tribute to Sally. She was all that and more! I’ve known her for 50 years. I went to elementary school with Jodie from Kindergarten. Sally was a beautiful soul. So giving and wonderful. She will be missed by so many. I’m glad she was able to be nearer you all in the end. God bless your wonderful family.

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you, Shari. I hope Jodie sees this … or you can reach out to her on her FB page. I know she would love hearing from you. I certainly appreciate your very kind comment. Bless you! ❤

21. Faith Whitmore said:

I thought of you, Jan, when I read Jody’s post and was so glad to read this beautiful tribute to Sally with all the great photos. She surely loved you and your family and was always so happy when she got to spend time with you all. I loved your sister and was blessed to know her through the years. She had such a huge heart, and as you said, was constantly doing for others. She was one of a kind!

Liked by 1 person

• Oh, {{{Faith))) – it is so good to hear from you. Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your kind comment. I hope to see you in Sacramento on December 23. That’s the date Jodie is planning a Memorial for her. More news to follow from her, I’m sure. God bless you! ❤

22. Jan, I am very sorry to hear about your loss, you are rightful in saying that a part of you goes with them, I can so feel you. Lost my father when I was a child.
    Reading your beautiful tribute to Sally, I couldn’t stop myself shedding those drops. May her soul rest in peace. ❤️
    All of the pictures are so beautiful, you both look a xerox copy of each other, loved to see you as a child, you and Sally looked so cute, you still are 😊
    Take care of yourself Jan, stay strong and be safe ❤️🌺🤗

23. Barbara Schaub Domek said:

This is a wonderful tribute to our dear Sally. She was an amazing friend and neighbor to us Schaub’s. We will miss her greatly! Thank you for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

• Oh Barbara, thank you so much!! I am so glad you were able to access and see my memories of Sally. You Schaubs were an important and loving part of Sally’s life. I hope to see you on December 23rd when Jodie is planning a Memorial in CA for her. News of it will follow from her. ❤ Hugs to you and your family. ❤

24. I’m so sorry for your loss Jan and for all her loved ones. Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful tribute and beautiful photos from past to present. It was wonderful to read and see. She sounded and looked like such a warm, loving person. My heart goes out to you all.

Liked by 1 person

• Oh, {{{Samantha}}} I appreciate your beautiful comment so much! Thank you. Yes, my sis was a very giving, loving person. She will be missed by all of us who enjoyed her presence in our lives. God gave us a coupe years of daily good-byes as Alzheimer’s took her away piece by piece, day by day. It’s a slow, cruel departure… and each day prepares us for this ultimate journey… but it’s still hard! Thank you for your condolences. ❤

25. What a beautiful pictures of Sally. I have my memories with Sally as she and I did room together at Rebekah Assembly before she moved to Pennsylvania. My deepest sympathy to her family.
    Gail Warness

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you so much, Gail. I appreciate your comment and shared memories. Your condolences and sympathy for the extended family and friends are so kind. God bless you! Bee well!! ❤

26. Lorna Hemphill said:

Sally so loved her family and all of her organizations, This is a beautiful tribute to her. Thanks Jan for sharing. Prayers to you and Bob.

Liked by 1 person

• Very nice of you to read and respond, Lorna. You were such a good friend to Sally for so many years. We thank you for your love and condolences. Your prayers are working. Bob had the best uninterrupted sleep last night that he has had in recent memory. God is good! ❤ Hugs to you, {{{Lorna}}} ❤

27. judith Arnold said:

Oh Dear Jan,
    I am so sad to hear this news 😔
    Sally was a beautiful soul. She so loved family and life. RIP my dear cousin❤️

Liked by 1 person

28. My heart goes out to you, Jan. I know you will miss your beautiful sister, Sally…

Blue Rock Horses Frederick County, Virginia bluerockhorses.com

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you so much, {{{Mitzi}}} – yes, Sally will be missed by all of us who loved her. She was a memorable character indeed – and will long be remembered by all whose lives she impacted. Thanks for your lovely comment. ❤

29. Dianne Schaub said:

Jan~Thank you so much for this wonderful tribute to your sister, Sally! I am so sorry for your loss. We will all miss her so much and have such great memories. She was one festive gal! Much love to you all! 💖✨

Liked by 1 person

• Thank you, Diane. Yes, festive indeed! I hope to see you on December 23. Has Jodie contacted you? I appreciate your comment. God bless you! ❤